CAMPAIGN FACT SHEET

  1. Unions & bargaining power can lead to longer tenancies by empowering tenants to apply pressure on landlords to address their needs/concerns.
     

  2. Unions can stabilize tenant/landlord relations over the long term by mandating regular contact and negotiations based on each party’s top priorities.
     

  3. Unions can increase the lifespan of buildings & affordable housing stock, as maintenance issues often are a top priority for tenants.
     

  4. Unions reduce the need for state regulatory bodies to intervene in tenant/landlord relations.
     

  5. Unions were won in part based on the idea that there are massive disparities in bargaining power between workers and bosses. This same analysis must be expanded to include the relationship between tenants and landlords, whose power over tenants extends to control over a renter's health, safety, and livelihood.
     

  6. Housing is increasingly a site for large corporations to extract money from the working class, and collective resistance to this extraction is not only important in principle, but practically necessary as rising gentrification and housing financialization target our communities. People work jobs in large part in order to afford shelter, and so protecting our own and our neighbours' quality of life entails defending each other on both fronts.
     

  7. Only 4% of landlords (Canada-wide) own just one basement suite. The other 96% own multiple suites/properties. These 96% have massive control and power over renters lives. It’s time to even the playing field.
     

  8. Landlords effectively have collective rights through Landlord BC. Tenants deserve that right too. It isn’t really collective through the RTB, we have no ability to collectively bargain, and we don’t have the ability to pursue class action lawsuits when a landlord mistreats multiple tenants in the same building.